Tuesday, September 25, 2012

SITCOM ROOM registration is now open

Ever wonder what it's like to be a comedy writer on a sitcom?   Being surrounded by really funny people in a work environment where laughter is not just encouraged but required?    Is this something you've always wanted to do?  Or just something you'd like to experience one time?  Then I invite you to join THE SITCOM ROOM -- a weekend hands-on seminar where you don't just sit and listen to boring lectures for two days, you WRITE.   You're put in a writing room where you will fix a script and see Hollywood actors perform your material.   It's kind of like one of those baseball fantasy camps except you don't blow out your hamstring.

I'm holding one of these SITCOM ROOM seminars on November 10th & 11th in Los Angeles.  And registration is now open.

Some things you should know:

I only do these once a year at the most.  Sometimes I do them once every two years.

I only take twenty students.

And I opened registration on Sunday for those on my mailing list and within 48 hours I filled half of the slots.  There are now only 10 openings.  So if you're interested, please take advantage now.  When we're sold out, that's it.  I keep it small so that every student gets ample attention and opportunity.   


Here's where you go for more information.

And here's where you go to register.

The price is $1500.  

Hopefully, I'll see you in November.  Trust me, you'll learn more and laugh more in two days than a year's worth of most college writing programs. 

Still not convinced?   Here is a testimonial by Gina Gold, a former SITCOM ROOM student now on the writing staff of NURSE JACKIE.

Ken Levine has written the television shows that made me want to be a TV writer. M*A*S*H, Cheers, Frasier, The Simpsons, and Everybody Loves Raymond are just some of the series he helped turn into mega-hits. When I was new to L.A., I worked as an assistant and was fortunate enough to meet Ken and his partner David Isaacs at my job. During this time, I remember watching one of their Frasier episodes and being so blown away that I steeled my nerves, picked up the phone, and called them to say how much I loved their work. I felt like a bumbling fan, but I was so excited that I could actually tell them how I felt about their writing. They were gracious and appreciative.

Over the years, I have crossed paths with Ken many times, but when I heard he was teaching his SITCOM ROOM, I leaped over chairs at the chance to learn from someone I consider one of Hollywood’s greatest comedy writers. Ken’s class offered me a rare glimpse into his creative process, as well as invaluable guidance on how to tackle a scene. Most important, he made us create. On the spot. Under pressure. With a team of strangers. Just like the pros do it. He threw us into a room with an assignment then dropped in with notes and other challenges that meant writing, rewriting, and more rewriting. It was fun, frustrating, exhilarating, and infuriating -- just like a real TV job. In the end, we saw our work performed by a group of talented actors, and got to find out whether our material landed or not – the ultimate test.

Thanks, Gina. 

A new Emmy-related post follows later today.

8 comments :

Emmy Voter said...

"Nurse Jackie" is a comedy? Oh.

ScottB said...

I always envy people halfway across the country in LA who have this sort of opportunity. I also envy anyone who has $1500, but still ...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'd love to go; however, with work and the lack of $1500 in disposable income, I'll have to sit this out for a year or two.

Cap'n Bob said...

Please take a moment on November 11 to honor our veterans. Maybe you could write a Bilko sketch.

linchunxia said...

Which will certainly an effective blog site,these products worth are likely to sustain the idea , thanks a ton these bloger£¬I consider you will appealing during Michael Kors Outlet Online
Michael Kors Grayson Satchel. the pet some of our site :http://www.michaelkors2outlets.com

probability said...

Ken, in the off chance this idea hasn't occurred to already, you should consider a Ken Levine Sitcom Room Fellowship. Just like with other fellowships, candidates could submit a resume, bio, a writing sample, and a nominal fee (to cover administrative costs), and you could pick a winner to fill one seat in your room. I'd enter. Thanks!

Muzza said...

To anyone who is still debating whether or not Ken's Sitcom Room is worth the investment, let me tell you that after years of pretending to be serious about writing for TV, my experience last November changed my attitude, approach and appreciation of the process completely. I have since devoted myself full-time to writing, based on what I learned during that wonderful weekend, and now know that a career as a television writer doesn't have to remain simply a dream. Live in a different state? I came from the other side of the world. Prefer to save up your hard earned for 'next time'? You're only delaying your potential life changing experience by 12 months. And who knows what excuses you might have in another year's time?